Article 28: Duty to pre-register for phase-in substances
1. In order to benefit from the transitional regime provided for in Article 23 each potential registrant of a phase-in substance in quantities of one tonne or more per year, including without limitation intermediates, shall submit all the following information to the Agency:
(a)the name of the substance as specified in Section 2 of Annex VI, including its EINECS and CAS number or, if not available, any other identity codes;
(b)his name and address and the name of the contact person and, where appropriate, the name and address of the person representing him in accordance with Article 4 as specified in Section 1 of Annex VI;
(d)the name(s) of substance(s) as specified in Section 2 of Annex VI, including their EINECS and CAS number or, if not available, any other identity codes, for which the available information is relevant for the application of Sections 1.3 and 1.5 of Annex XI.
2. The information referred to in paragraph 1 shall be submitted within a time period starting on 1 June 2008 and ending on 1 December 2008.
3. Registrants who do not submit the information required under paragraph 1 shall not be able to rely on Article 23.
4. The Agency shall by 1 January 2009 publish on its website a list of the substances referred to in paragraph 1(a) and (d). That list shall comprise only the names of the substances, including their EINECS and CAS number if available and other identity codes, and the first envisaged registration deadline.
5. After the publication of the list a downstream user of a substance not appearing on the list may notify the Agency of his interest in the substance, his contact details and the details of his current supplier. The Agency shall publish on its website the name of the substance and on request provide contact details of the downstream user to a potential registrant.
6. Potential registrants who manufacture or import for the first time a phase-in substance in quantities of one tonne or more per year or use for the first time a phase-in substance in the context of production of articles or import for the first time an article containing a phase-in substance that would require registration, after 1 December 2008, shall be entitled to rely on Article 23 provided that they submit the information referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article to the Agency within six months of first manufacturing, importing or using the substance in quantities of one tonne or more per year and no later than 12 months before the relevant deadline in Article 23.
7. Manufacturers or importers of phase-in substances in quantities of less than one tonne per year that appear on the list published by the Agency in accordance with paragraph 4 of this Article, as well as downstream users of those substances and third parties holding information on those substances, may submit the information referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article or any other relevant information to the Agency for those substances, with the intention of being part of the substance information exchange forum as referred to in Article 29.